Saturday, November 26, 2011

Special Edition Saturday - Etsy Anyone oh and Epicure!

     So I have been thinking (yes, I know very dangerous), after some urging from friends and family, I am possibly contemplating setting up an Etsy store

     I am looking for advice, tips, yays or nays....anything at all really.  Is it hard to set up? Is it worth my time?  Do I need a cool name (this may be hard because I am so not cool)?

   I am wee bit scared and a wee bit excited.  So if anyone has any experience out there and would like to share some wisdom with me, I would really appreciate that.  If you don't have any experience with this and you still want to tell me how much you love me and how talented I am (You can pretend) you can do that too! Everyone needs a confidence boost once in a while.

   As a reminder,  I am holding an Epicure Party at my house Monday night at 7pm.  Would love to see you there.  Bring a friend and there is no pressure to buy anything.  I may force you to try some delicious food though!  Be sure to message me, call me, leave me a comment if you are coming so I can add you to the list of people to let in my house....HAHAHAHA! Everyone welcome, but just let me know so we can make sure there is plenty of food! If you can't make it but want to order you can either  drop by and look through the catalogue and order or you can order online.  If you plan to order online, let me know and I will get you the info you need so it can be added to my party.

     Have a good weekend everyone.  Be safe and have fun!

3 comments:

  1. the kids and i will be there for a bit for sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol - Etsy is an online store, I would be based online through Etsy and facebook, so no need to be away from home as it would be too hard with a busy toddler and nursing babe! Thank you for the info though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I have lots to say on the topic of Etsy! I started awhile back (maybe 1.5 years?) and this is what I found.

    - there are a million people making the same thing and it's extremely difficult to make your stuff stand out
    - out of the same million people, many of them have their things priced so incredibly cheaply that there is no way to compete with them (and actually make money)
    - there are half a million people that seem to be able to post things every single hour. So, you can post your items and hope they'll be in the first couple pages of a search but there are some shops that are constantly posting so they're always at the top and you'll soon be on page 48 before you even know it.
    - it's extremely time consuming to take pictures and post properly. Most people that shop on Etsy want multiple views of the item they're buying (where as Facebook, single pic of the item is usually fine)
    - I recommend a name that isn't craft specific...when I started out it was just tutus but I'm glad I didn't put tutus in my name since now I do other things too.
    - there is another "Etsy" type website called Hyena Cart that is starting to get quite popular. You still have to pay to list but there is not as much competition on there.

    Hmmm...that's it for now, hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete