Monday, January 16, 2012

Beating the Dead Sleep Horse

     So I have beat this topic to death but somehow I feel like I need to share this.  Maybe, just maybe someone has an idea, method, magic potion, absolutely anything to get Camden to sleep through the freaking night before this Mommy completely loses her mind.  Somehow the 10 wake ups from Camden and the normal few wake ups to nurse a baby during the night between the hours of 11:30 and 5:00 am doesn't leave a lot of sleeping time for me.  I'm running on fumes and the week has just begun.

     I don't understand it.  Camden sleeps overnight at his Grandparents and will maybe wake up once (he also pooped on the potty there but that's a whole different pity party on potty training the un trainable). What am I doing wrong?  He goes to bed great for me, so that isn't an issue.  Just the all night wake ups that's starting to drive me crazier than I already am. After 2 and a half years I can count the times he has slept through the night for us on one hand. 

     On days like today I feel like giving up.  I clearly don't know what I am doing when it comes to Camden.  I love him, play with him, feed him, discipline him, keep him clothed and bathed and get up with him 50 billion times in the night and yet its still not enough?  Maybe, if he slept through the night I would have the patience and energy to devote to him but he doesn't and I don't. 

     Please, I am begging you today to give me all your advice on sleeping.  Thank you and I hope you enjoy your Monday.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.babycenter.com/0_dealing-with-late-night-visits-from-your-child_64933.bc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I can't imagine how frustrating this must be, but from everything you write and say about your home, your kids, and your life, I believe that you are an incredible mom. Your family has always been so passionate about each other, and it's something I've always admired.

    I can't pretend to know any answers since I don't know what you've tried or exactly what it is Camden is waking up for, but since you're asking for any advice, this is what I might be tempted to try:

    Choose a couple of days in a row when Ella won't be at home, and you can take Harmony to your parents' for the night so she can sleep. Put Camden to bed, and then ignore him when he wakes up. If he's getting out of bed, put him back without saying a word, and then leave the room again. Other than putting him back into bed (and I suppose changing his diaper if necessary), don't speak or interact with him at all. Let him scream all night but give him no attention for it. If he'll wear them, put him in footie pajamas so that if he throws his blankets off, he'll still be warm enough to sleep when exhaustion takes over.

    The reason I suggest this is that I'm wondering if Camden looks forward to the attention he gets through the night, and his body wakes him up because he knows he'll get it. It's amazing how some kids don't always care if they're getting positive or negative attention, as long as it's attention they're happy and they want more. Maybe by giving him a couple of nights where his screams and cries get him absolutely nothing, he'll realize that waking up through the night isn't worth it.

    I know it sounds a bit extreme, and probably will be intensely difficult if you try it, but it's just an idea to consider. I'll be praying for Camden to sleep through the night, and for wisdom for you and Mike.

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete